Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 27, 2007

Okay, so my stint here in Singapore seems to be a life sentence! It is a good life, and I would have never dreamed that I would have found such a home, filled with great people. Ahh, but life is short, and I am hoping to be closer to home by Christmas--- It would be good to be cold for a change!

Most recently I took a trip to India for a sales conference, and we make a side trip to see the Taj Mahal. One of the hottest times of the year, the train and bus ride back and forth from New Delhi seemed to go to the end of the world. One day we went to Old Delhi. Hugely vibrant and populated, it was like being part of a virtual movie. It was good to be reminded how grateful I am to be born in an affluent country, with opportunities to live as I do. It was unbelievable and unbearable to see so many poor people. Of the billion people in India, about 65% of the population is literate, and I believe about 20% live on less than 2 dollars a day. And live they do…… India has one of the fastest growing economies, and hopefully the middle class will grow in the years to come, thanks to a democratic government and capitalist growth--- they have a very long way to go.

In April, I was off to see Whale Sharks in Donsol, Philippines! Suited up in Mask, Snorkel and Fins, and then told to jump in the water, we swam with them. Of course, once we spotted one, they enjoyed playing with us a little, but soon they would swim too deep, or out-swim us completely! Whale Sharks are not really whales at all, just sharks the size of whales. They are the biggest fish in the sea, growing up to 46 feet long and weighing 15 tons, although the ones we saw were probably 15-25 feet long. They live up to 100-150 years old as long as they manage to avoid boats!

Before then, I was in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. We saw a traditional water puppet show, and ate some of the best food for the cheapest prices, although this woman totally overcharged me for these bananas! We took a boat tour of the Mekong Delta. Now a thriving waterway dotted with fishing villages, you can almost hear The Doors playing in the background when see the side river that took us to the traditional tourist traps, which bring in the only revenue for some local villages.

Traffic in Vietnam is just like many parts of SE Asia, consisting mostly of 2 wheeled family vehicles, or scooters. The hats are most distinct and very efficient too, they really cool you down!

And, starting the year was a trip to Dubai. On a mission to see the Burj Al Arab, all I did was look at it! They didn’t have room for reservations, either for accommodations or dinner, so we weren’t allowed even on the compound. Everyone who goes to this hotel must be a customer. Fine with me, what’s in a hotel anyway—I was too busy buying carpets and sand surfing!

Last but not least I have also included a picture of a trip I took to a horse ranch in Malaysia on the back of a Harley—although not too far from home, the is sure to get you to laugh!

Crazy times and life is good!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home